Jazz North Introduces The Stretch Trio (2013-14)
Jazz North Introduces – offering high profile showcase opportunities for young artists at Northern jazz festivals
Originally from Lancashire but now based in Leeds, The Stretch Trio are the first young band to be given their first high-profile performances and mentoring as part of the Jazz North Introduces scheme. The band features Andy French (Sax and EWI), Calvin Travers (Guitar) and Tom Higham (Drums) and in 2014 they made their debut at the 2014 Gateshead International Jazz Festival and The Scarborough Jazz Festival.
The band describe their music as jazz fusion and use electronics to augment their acoustic sound. This new Jazz North initiative builds on the mjf introduces scheme to showcase the very best new jazz talent from across the north.
Benefits for selected young jazz artists:
- a high-profile showcase
- The gigs will be paid and expenses will be covered
- Bespoke mentoring by experienced jazz artists with international profile
- Photo shoot for the band
- Video showreel for the band created from interviews and this performance
- Help with producing EPK (Electronic Press Kit)
The scheme is being coordinated for Jazz North by Jo McCallum.
- Nov 2014: The Stretch Trio’s debut album Antithesis is released in November 2014 at a performance at The Hepworth Wakefield 20.11.14 in association with Yorkshire Live Music Project.