Jazz North Introduces The Jam Experiment (2014-15)
Jam Experiment – young northern jazz artists undertake their first high-profile showcase performances in 2014-15.
Alex Bone and Rory Ingham of Jam Experiment talk about their experience of being selected for previous Jazz North Introduces.
Jazz North Introduces is a scheme that provides young northern jazz artists with their first high-profile showcase performances and mentoring with leading UK jazz artists. Working in partnership with Northern jazz festivals, the 2015 winners will receive the opportunity to be showcased at 5 leading jazz festivals across the North. Previous festival partners include:
Gateshead International Jazz Festival, Lancaster Jazz Festival, Liverpool International Jazz Festival, Marsden Jazz Festival, Scarborough Jazz Festival, Southport Melodic Jazz Club ‘Jazz on a Winter’s Weekend’ Festival.
Read feedback from festival promoters and artists
Benefits for selected young jazz artists
- a high profile performance opportunity at 5 leading northern jazz festivals
- the gigs will be paid and expenses will be covered
photo shoot for the band
- video showreel for the band created from interviews and one performance
- help with producing EPK (Electronic Press Kit)
- mentoring from leading UK jazz artists
- maximum band size is 5 musicians
- 75% of musicians and the nominated leader will be under 25 years of age.
- musicians can be in full time education
- 75% of band members in any group must be currently living or studying in the north of England (please see the geographical definition below)
- there are no stylistic barriers
- the band must be ready to gig now and you must be able to provide a recording of your band (including all members)
- you must demonstrate readiness to commit time and attention to the scheme’s activities (listed above)
- the successful bands will be required to complete a simple evaluation exercise with project coordinator
in making our selection of successful applicants, we will prioritise musical excellence, in terms of musicianship, creativity, innovation and potential.
How to apply
To apply to be considered for this opportunity to perform at partner jazz festivals in 2015/16, please complete the online application form: FORM NOW CLOSED
A downloadable copy of the information of this page is available: Jazz North Introduces 2015 (PDF)
10:00am Monday 22nd June 2015
Tips for your application
– Make sure your audio tracks show what your band can do e.g. show variety of tempo / moods
– If you mention ‘musical genres’ and influential artists in your application, make sure those genres and influences can be heard in your submitted audio tracks
– Try to be concise with your answers – nothing superfluous
How Jazz North will select successful applicants
Jazz North will shortlist the applications according to the assessment criteria. This shortlist will then be assessed in more detail by an advisory panel consisting of experienced musicians, promoters, educators and Jazz North staff. Successful bands will be informed of the dates of their festival gigs. All shortlisted bands can receive feedback about their application. The scheme is being coordinated for Jazz North by Jo McCallum.
About the Scheme
This initiative builds on the mjf introduces scheme to showcase the very best new jazz talent from across the north. A pilot version of the scheme was run in 2013 with Leeds’ band The Stretch Trio being selected for a showcase at Gateshead International Jazz Festival. The Jam Experiment from Manchester were selected last year and performed at five northern jazz festivals.
The North: Geographical Definition
For the purposes of this scheme, ‘the north’ refers to the following counties: Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, County Durham, Northumberland, Tees Valley and Tyne and Wear, Yorkshire, Humber (North and North East Lincolnshire).