Looking for an artist? See the ARTIST ROSTER
APPLICATIONS FOR ROUND 7 ARE NOW CLOSED
Artists will be notified about their application by Friday 22nd March 2019.
northern line is an innovative scheme which supports jazz artists career development, through subsidised touring, mentoring and industry support. Since launching its first round in 2013, the scheme has supported 67 bands with over 700 gigs.
About northern line
Artists wishing to apply to Jazz North’s northern line must be at a gig ready standard, with 18 months professional experience and not in full time education. There are no musical barriers and no age barriers – we only ask that artists be ready to commit time to make the most of being on the northern line scheme.
Jazz North’s northern line scheme will offer artist development support through
- Business and industry insight – business skills enable artists to develop their career, both as touring musicians and across their professional portfolio
- 12 subsidised gig performances – put the industry skills to practice with subsidised gig opportunities, helping to grow audiences and minimise the financial risk to artists through guaranteed payments and minimum fee rate.
- Marketing tools – reach new audiences and develop your EPK with photo shoot, showcase video show reel and marketing insight.
- Showcase performance – perform for and network with national and international promoters at the northern line showcase at Lancaster Jazz Festival.
- Mentoring – one-to-one sessions with Jazz North to identify individual areas of support for you and your band.
Working towards a more diverse music scene
Jazz North has a commitment to diversity and accessibility for artists and audiences alike and we believe that it is important that audiences and promoters have access to a wider cultural offer. It is therefore important to us that northern line presents a varied roster of artists that fully represents the diversity of the northern jazz scene. Jazz North is a partner in European Jazz Network’s Gender Balance manifesto and supports Arts Council England’s Creative Case for Diversity.
northern line artists rounds 1 – 6
* = current round 6 artists available for booking until 31 December 2019
Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra
Birkett & Fisk play Venuti & Lang
Dan Whieldon Quartet
Emma Johnson’s Gravy Boat ✶
Engine Room Favourites
Graeme Wilson Quartet
John Bailey Quintet
John Ellis Trio
Johnny Hunter Quartet
Manchester Jazz Collective ✶
Mark Williams Trio ✶
Matt Holborn Quartet
Mike Walker & Stuart McCallum
New York Brass Band
Nicola Farnon Trio
Paul Taylor ✶
Perpetual Motion Machine
Simon Read Octet
Iain Dixon / Les Chisnall
Jamil Sheriff Trio
Stuart McCallum & The Real Strings
Svarc Hanley Longhawn
The Jamie Brownfield Quartet
The Jazz Worriers
The Lindsay Hannon Plus
The Pat McCarthy Quartet
The Slowlight Quartet
Zoe Gilby Quartet