Jazz North is now in action and here’s an update of some of the things we have planned. During the first six months we will be providing a range of services and running a number of pilot projects.
Our other priorities are to make partnerships with other organisations beyond our initial consortium. This will enable us to deliver an exciting programme of activity and develop the organisation. As a new organisation we will be setting up structures such as staffing, board and an advisory panel to fully involve the jazz community in our decisions.
The initial pilot projects will be listed on the jazznorth.org projects page soon, but here is a quick summary:
- northern line – recruiting up to 12 bands per year to promote and showcase with subsidised touring across the north
- get more gigs – practical half-day events offering CPD for musicians (and promoters)
- new networks north – professional development events for:
- festival organisers
- educators and Music Education Hubs
- northern voluntary promoters
Plus there’ll be projects organised for children and young people: ‘jazz in schools’ and ‘jazz jamboree’ – a youth big band / community orchestra project.
Further projects for April 2013 onwards:
- northern originals – opportunities for northern jazz composers to exciting create new work, based upon Manchester Jazz Festival’s successful ‘mjf originals’ scheme.
- jazz north awards – an annual celebration and recognition of all aspects of the northern jazz scene, building on the successful Jazz Yorkshire Awards.
- artist development / mentoring scheme – support programmes for developing the careers of northern musicians, using Jazz Yorkshire’s Futures Scheme as a model.
- Jazz Shuttle – working with French partners to facilitate exchange projects between northern UK and French jazz artists.
- Jazz Services Rural Touring Support Scheme – new partnership to enable Jazz North to sponsor a Northern band to join the scheme.
Jazz North Services
We are developing on-line resources to allow northern artists and promoters simple ways in which news and information about their gigs and activities can reach a wider public.
How to get involved?
Sign up to Jazz North to receive our email newsletter.
If you’re interested in finding out more about becoming a partner organisation to work with Jazz North please get in touch via the Contact page.