Jazz North Introduces is a new scheme that will provide young northern jazz artists with their first high-profile performance. This new Jazz North initiative builds on the mjf introduces scheme to showcase the very best new jazz talent from across the north. Jazz North will showcase the Introduces programme at the Gateshead International Jazz Festival on Sunday 6th April 2014.
Benefits for selected young jazz artists
- a 50 minute showcase set at Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2014
- The gigs will be paid and expenses will be covered
- Photo shoot for the band
- Video showreel for the band created from interviews and this performance
- Help with producing EPK (Electronic Press Kit)
- Maximum band size is 5 musicians
- The majority of musicians and the nominated leader will be under 25 years of age.
- Musicians can be in full time education
- The majority of band members in any group must be currently living or studying in the north of England (please see the geographical definition below)
- In making our selection of successful applicants, we will prioritise musical excellence, in terms of musicianship, creativity and innovation All applicants must have audio examples easily available
- There are no stylistic barriers
- The band must be ready to gig now
- You must demonstrate readiness to commit time and attention to the scheme’s activities (listed above)
- The succesful bands will be required to complete a simple evaluation exercise with project coordinator
How to apply / deadline
To apply to be considered for this opportunity at the Gateshead International Jazz Festival, please fill out the application form below by:
Monday 20th January
How Jazz North will select successful applicants
Jazz North will shortlist the applications according to the assessment criteria. This shortlist will then be assessed in more detail by an advisory panel consisting of experienced musicians, promoters, educators and Jazz North staff. All shortlisted bands can receive feedback about their application. The scheme is being coordinated for Jazz North by Jo McCallum.