Jazz North Introduces 2016 – Criteria and Guidelines
How to apply
To apply to be considered for this opportunity to perform at partner jazz festivals, or jazz venue in 2016-17 (under 19 award), please complete the online application form.
A downloadable copy of the information about Jazz North Introduces is available: Jazz North Introduces 2016 (PDF).
Deadline for applications
9:00 PM Wednesday 22nd June 2016
The Jam Experiment – Jazz North Introduces 2014-15
- maximum band size is 5 musicians
- senior band (19-25) 75% of musicians and the nominated leader will be under 25 years of age.
- junior band (16-19) 100% of musicians and the nominated leader will be 19 or under
- musicians can be in full time education
- 75% of band members in any group must be currently living or studying in the north of England (please see the geographical definition below)
- in making our selection of successful applicants, we will prioritise musical excellence, in terms of musicianship, creativity, innovation and potential.
- there are no stylistic barriers
- the band must be ready to gig by July 2016 and you must be able to provide a recording of your band (including all members)
- you must demonstrate readiness to commit time and attention to the scheme’s activities (listed above)
- the successful bands will be required to complete a simple evaluation exercise with project coordinator
Tips for your application
- Make sure your audio tracks show what your band can do. For example make sure that the tracks you choose show a variety of tempo / moods
- If you mention ‘musical genres’ and influential artists in your application, make sure those genres and influences can be heard in your submitted audio tracks
- try to be concise with your answers – nothing superfluous
The Stretch Trio – Jazz North Introduces 2013-14
How Jazz North will select successful applicants
Jazz North will shortlist the applications according to the assessment criteria. This shortlist will then be assessed in more detail by an advisory panel consisting of experienced musicians, promoters, educators and Jazz North staff. Successful bands will be informed of the dates of their festival gigs. All shortlisted bands can receive feedback about their application.
About the Scheme
This initiative builds on the mjf introduces scheme to showcase the very best new jazz talent from across the north. Previous Jazz North Introduces artists: The Stretch Trio (2013) who went on to win the Peter Whittingham Jazz Award, The Jam Experiment (2014) and Artephis (2015).
The North: Geographical Definition
For the purposes of this scheme, ‘the north’ refers to the following counties: Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, County Durham, Northumberland, Tees Valley and Tyne and Wear, Yorkshire, Humber (North and North East Lincolnshire).