Jazz North Introduces 2017
Jazz North Introduces is now looking for an exceptional northern band up to the age of 25 to be showcased at six northern jazz festivals. The scheme builds on the mjf introduces scheme to showcase the very best new jazz talent from across the north. Previous Jazz North Introduces artists: The Stretch Trio (2013) who went on to win the Peter Whittingham Jazz Award, The Jam Experiment (2014), Artephis (2015) and Wandering Monster (2016). The Jam Experiment and Wandering Monster were both featured on BBC R3 Jazz Now in early 2017.
- High profile showcase performance at 6 northern jazz festivals
- The gigs will be paid and expenses will be covered
- Photo shoot for the band
- Video showreel for the band created from interviews and this performance
- Help with producing EPK (Electronic Press Kit)
- Mentoring from leading UK jazz artists
How to apply
To apply to be considered for this opportunity you’ll need to have three audio or video recordings of your band available on a platform like soundcloud / bandcamp / YouTube / Vimeo and complete the online application form.
Deadline for applications
Midnight Sunday 7th May 2017
- maximum band size is 5 musicians
- 75% of musicians and the nominated leader will be 25 years of age.
- musicians can be in full time education
- 75% of band members in any group must be currently living or studying in the north of England (please see the geographical definition below)
- in making our selection of successful applicants, we will prioritise musical excellence, in terms of musicianship, creativity, innovation and potential.
- there are no stylistic barriers
- the band must be ready to gig by July 2017 and you must be able to provide a recording of your band (including all members)
- you must demonstrate readiness to commit time and attention to the scheme’s activities (listed above)
- the successful bands will be required to complete a simple evaluation exercise with project coordinator